The New Library Project
The new Shepherdstown Public Library will be a modern, innovative space that will strengthen our neighborhood and enrich the cultural lives of our citizens. Some outstanding features of our proposed new library are:
- The Commons Room, which can serve as one large meeting area or partitioned into two separate smaller meeting areas, will serve as a daytime gathering place and meeting and reception area for community organizations;
- An Exterior Patio and Event Terrace adjacent to the Children’s Story Garden where library and community events for all ages can be held;
- A beautiful, contemplative Reader’s Garden Terrace with shade trees, native plant life, and comfortable seating where patrons of all ages can discover the ideal place to read or just relax;
- A totally separate Young Adult Reading Area where sufficient space and resources will be provided to seamlessly continue the intellectual development of our children as they mature;
- A Media Lab designed as a space for patrons to have access to software and hardware to create digital media, such as videos, music, podcasts, images, ebooks, websites, coding, graphic design, desktop publishing, and animation; plus and finally
- A large Adult Reading and Program Area, an area dedicated almost exclusively to Children’s Programming and Story Garden; a Green Roof, many Solar Panels, reading alcoves, meeting rooms, offices, and more amazing things that make will make our library more special than ever!
Because of the extraordinary generosity of our many friends, our new library is becoming a reality.
Our groundbreaking ceremony was held on October 20, 2020, and site work has begun at the new library site! Construction of the new library is slated to begin in the summer of 2021, with construction completion and a wonderful ribbon-cutting ceremony when the building is finished.
There are many ways you can invest in our new library!
Buy a Brick engraved to your specifications – to be placed in the outdoor event terrace of our new facility.
Join our Giving Circle – members of the community come together to form an ongoing, sustainable system for financially supporting the library. Nourishing Literacy is based on the idea that contributors will pledge the equivalent of one meal a month, which could be anything from a $10.00 meal to $100.00-plus, and can be made through automatic monthly credit card withdrawals.
Make an online gift to donate with a credit card or through PayPal.
We hope you will consider one of our remaining Naming Opportunities, in your own name, or in honor, celebration, or memory of someone important to you.