SPL Facility Usage and Meeting Room Policy
Facility Usage & Meeting Room Policy for Shepherdstown Public Library
Welcome to Shepherdstown Public Library (SPL), and thank you for choosing us as your venue. We are pleased to be able to provide meeting rooms which are available to the public, as defined in this policy, on an equitable basis regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups, with the exception of groups that have a history of violence or advocate or promote violence.
The Library may deny the use of meeting rooms to an applicant if in the Library’s opinion: a) the conduct of the meeting interferes with the functioning of the Library; b) the purpose of the meeting or activity is illegal or potentially hazardous; c) the meeting presents health or security risks; d) the applicant has not provided satisfactory adult sponsorship and supervision for the meeting; or e) the applicant has failed to comply with these or other library regulations.
Rooms may not be used for business operations or as a regular place of worship for religious organizations.
Approval of all requests is at the discretion of the Library Director.
- Groups must pay the rental fee before the reservation can be finalized. The rental fee is waived for non-profit organizations and local government agencies.
- The completed and signed Meeting Room Application form and rental fees are due prior to the scheduled use of the room. The Library will acknowledge approval of the rental prior to room/patio usage.
- Accepted forms of payment are cash or check made payable to “Shepherdstown Public Library”.
- Any groups reserving the room after hours will be charged an additional fee of $20.00.
Room Rental Options
COMMONS ROOM: Our Commons Room is a bright space for meetings, workshops, gatherings, and parties. You’ll have access to folding tables, 32 stackable chairs and use of an 80″ LCD television and/or a 40″ LCD television with computer hook-up via USB inputs. A catering kitchen is also available, complete with a refrigerator, sink, microwave, Keurig, cabinet and counter space. The Common Room dimensions are 23-1/2′ x 32′.
Rental Fee: $20.00 first 2 hours, $10 for each additional hour
Rental Fee: $25.00 per hour
Space Reservation Information
- Use of the Library facility use does not constitute the SPL’s endorsement of the beliefs, ideas, or policies expressed by any organizations or individuals using the space. Non-library groups using library facilities may not publicize their activities in such a way as to imply library sponsorship. Advertising materials must include the following disclaimer: “Use of a library meeting room does not constitute endorsement of any program or its content by SPL”. In addition, the name, address, and phone number of the library may not be used as the official address of any organization using library facilities
- Library-sponsored programs and activities take precedence over other activities.
- SPL’s meeting spaces are available during normal operating and some evening hours. Use on Sundays will be at the discretion of the Library Director. Food and beverages are permitted.
- Key fobs will be issued to the renter’s representative prior to the meeting date for after-hours access to the facility. All key fobs must be left in the rented space upon exiting the facility.
- Use of library facilities by outside organizations or groups may not interfere with regular library operations or services.
- Members and activities of groups using meeting space during library hours must not disturb library patrons.
- No groups may charge a fee to attend programs in the meeting room.
- It is important that organizations and individuals who use the meeting rooms understand and acknowledge that they are guests of the Library, are able to use library facilities at the discretion of the Library, and that their use of the facilities reflects that understanding.
- All persons requesting use of library meeting areas must abide by library policies, procedures, codes of behavior, and all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
- It is the responsibility of the person who signs the agreement on behalf of the renting organization to serve as the authorized representative of the group and to remain on the premises throughout the period for which it is in use, ensuring the safety and security of attendees and the library facility, as well as ensuring that attendees observe the regulations set forth in this document.
- The Library requires adult sponsorship for room use by persons 21 years of age or younger. The adult sponsor must sign the application form and attend and supervise the meeting.
- The renter shall leave the meeting room in the same condition as it was at the beginning of the meeting. If damage to the room, its furnishings, or equipment occurs during the meeting, the Library will require the applicant to pay for damages. The Library Director will assess the reasonable cost of repairing the damages caused during the meeting and will notify the renter of the damage assessment. The renter shall reimburse the Library for the damages by paying the assessed amount to the Shepherdstown Public Library within thirty (30) days of receiving notice of the damage assessment. The Library reserves the right to pursue legal action against any renter with an assessed amount of damage in arrears more than 90 days.
- Shepherdstown Public Library is not liable for damages caused to the users or their property while using library facilities, and the library will be held harmless from any liability to third parties for injury.
- In the event of severe weather or an emergency, the renter’s representative will be responsible for listening to local radio stations or checking the library’s website for closing announcements.
- Meeting rooms will be held for a maximum of 15 minutes after the scheduled start of the meeting. If the meeting room is unoccupied by that time, the reservation is forfeited and the room is open for other usage.
- No equipment or other items belonging to a group may be left in the library between meetings.
- Unless otherwise approved, spaces can be reserved up to 3 months in advance. For recurring meetings, the group representative must fill out a new application for each quarter of each year.
- If two or more applicants request the same room for the same time and date, the Library gives priority to the applicant who first requests the room, unless the Library has reserved the room to conduct library-related functions or there is a need to ensure a balanced, flexible, and appropriate use of available meeting rooms by all applicants. The Library reserves the right to deny permission to use a meeting room or to substitute facilities.
- If a renter decides to cancel a scheduled meeting, they shall notify the Library of the cancellation at least two weeks in advance.
- Organizations desiring to reserve a meeting room at the Shepherdstown Public Library must agree to this Facility Usage and Meeting Room Policy, submit this completed form and deliver all applicable required fees.